Friday 9 September 2011

Sunday Screenings

Last week I spoke about our experiences during the IndieGoGo campaign. Since we hit our target on August 26th, there has been a lot of interest from other filmmakers who want to know if they too can us crowd sourcing to get budgets for their projects.

I have been working with Sunday Screenings, its founders Phil Deguara and Andy Bate, as well as filmmaker Carlo Ortu for the past 18 months, in which time they have put on nearly twenty screenings of short and feature films and made a short film of their own "The Man Who Stopped", which was screened at the Exhibit in Balham before "The Kings Speech". They screen films on the first Sunday of each month, have a great and relaxed atmosphere and networking evening and usually feature someone from the industry to discuss something different about Indie Filmmaking as part of the night. They have been keeping tabs on our campaign and when it ended, asked if I would discuss aspects of it with their regular audience.

I was somewhat apprehensive as I am not the worlds best public speaker, but like I say, the atmosphere at Sunday Screenings is always welcoming and I felt confident in speaking about our campaign. After the 3rd film I was asked up and Andy conducted a Q + A, asking how we went about the project. I can talk for hours about all the intricacies about it, but tried to keep it brief and I did sense genuine interest from a lot of the audience and a low "WOW" as we revealed how much we had raised. We showed the initial IndieGoGo pitch video to show how we tried to come across and all the things we had done to engage our funders and at the end asked anyone who wanted to talk about it, to come and see us. Please see how it went here: http://www.vimeo.com/29256058

I have presented to an audience a few times before, but this was the first time the "come and see me after" had an effect, as I spoke to a social networker who wants to make a case study from the project, four filmmakers who wanted to know "how we did it" and over a dozen cast and crew who want to work with us in the future.

The next Sunday Screenings is in October, feel free to make friends with them on Facebook and pop along and see the next preview of short films from around the globe!

No comments:

Post a Comment