Monday 13 June 2011

Decisions, decisions...


Taking on a project this size (in that we are doing the campaign as well as the film) is starting to test my decision making skills to the maximum. I have always been a fan of exhausting a few avenues (unless I have an instinctive feel for something) and being open to being proved wrong, so I and others can provide options and not feel stifled creatively, especially in short film where they are usually working to experiment, rather than for the pay check.

However, being across so many different areas, not taking firm decisions is not going to be helping anyone. We have been discussing the costume for the photo shoot for the past few weeks and so many ideas have been put forward, to be honest I have gotten a bit lost and there came a point talking to Katerina this evening that I couldn't see the wood through the trees and was confusing her and myself! The ideas became muddled and unclear as we were trying to incorporate so much of what we had discussed that we were now using so many styles and colours that the overall affect was becoming messy.

However, one thing I am getting rather good at is not panicking and taking a moment to pause and think "right, how do we solve this" without becoming frustrated. In this case, I took a moment to go back to the very basic idea and I drew, rather slowly, how I saw the two main clowns appearing and tried to disregard anything else (see above). I wrote down in bullet point form the main things and directions I liked and the colours I instinctively saw, and that seemed to help both me and Katerina to see just the things we needed to accomplish and focus on that. I tend to overcomplicate things and so have to remind myself...if in doubt, keep things simple!

After today, I think our costume designs are now in the advanced stage and we are ready to start sourcing material from the textiles place Leilani found. I will be confirming our studio shoot date with Tower Bridge Studios (http://www.towerbridgestudios.com/) who have kindly lent us their studio space and then arranging meetings with costume and makeup so we can start trying stuff on our actors! Also in the mix is setting up a bank account for the film, meeting a clown who will act as consultant for the film and getting the website further down the line.

I have to admit I am feeling a little swamped at the moment, but am reminding myself to keep myself and my responses to things simple, succinct and to the point in order to get things done :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment