Saturday 25 June 2011

Juggling ~ Dropping Balls ~ And Picking Up!

So, I’m back.

It’s been a really crazy couple of weeks where three film projects, two writing projects and a full on workshop converged on me all at once. It happens sometimes despite careful planning when one thing gets postponed and another thing comes up and you’ve committed to things ages ago without knowing it’s all going to happen at once. And when you get in that position you just have to juggle as best you can. In the past couple of weeks I’ve done a massive (and I mean nose bleedingly massive) Guerilla Film Makers Mastercless, Shot my own short film with all the complications that project managed to throw at me last minute, acted pickups and extra scenes in a feature film I am a lead in, the director was over from Australia to get the last bits needed for the edit, and kept up my family commitments, social networking updates (important always, but especially now before the crowd funding campaign) done as much as I could to run and administrate OTTfilms as usual & help other filmmakers and keep up with what’s happening on Clowning Around. I’m a bit tired now.

And what happened with all the juggling I’ve been doing is that I’ve dropped a ball or two on Clowning Around. The one I’m most annoyed at myself for is the textiles. Katerina and I were meant to be going to visit a textiles warehouse on Wednesday and I got delayed with a family emergency. On speaking to Katerina about whether to postpone or not it transpired that they hadn’t really made a proper appointment with her when she called, just said we were welcome to come down and have a look and so it wasn’t clear what the position was for them helping us out with some free textiles or whether the person I’d been emailing with would be there to discuss. I know the offer is there, but with the photo shoot looming Katerina and I decided that because she really needs to get on with making the costumes and we didn’t really know how long this would all take to sort out & re-schedule, that she should purchase the fabrics she needs for that now at the places she knows and any project support from the textiles warehouse will probably have to come later for the film itself. It’s not a big deal and the fabrics needed are inexpensive, but I’m kicking myself all the same.

The other ball I’ve dropped a bit is trying to get around to recording any video diaries. I’m a bit untechnical in that department and I need to sit down and work out exactly how the new tripod I’ve got works. How the camera settings & focus need to work. How the camera goes on the tripod (sound’s simple but I’m puzzled!) and how to get the footage off the camera and onto vimeo. You know, those things that self-shooters can do in a heartbeat and that I have to give myself a few days to puzzle with. But I’ll get there! Be patient! :D

So, picking up with Clowning Around this week, I’ve had a bit of emailing with Perry who’s been hugely good at researching the financial investment side of things and has come up with some interesting information. I’ve had a look over Damien’s script changes, which are wonderful. I’ve talked through where we’re at and what needs to happen over the next week or so and I’ve reviewed the crowd funding perks and page and ordered the first perk I’m going to be sending out to some backers once we begin the crowdfunding, so it’s getting to a very exciting time. We’ve got some other plans in motion too which are very exciting and it’s coming to a really nice point in the project where I’m feeling very exhilarated, hugely proud of the team and what everyone’s doing. With the run up to the photo shoot we'll start seeing our clowns and other main characters take shape and the big kid part of me is hugely grinning in anticipation.

The final thing I’m getting done this week is getting some sort of web presence up for the film. We’ve been speaking to various web people and either they haven’t been quite right for us, or they’ve been too expensive for the project budget. We’d had a look, in the beginning, at some websites we liked and I managed to find something similar that might make a nice wordpress based site so I’ve got a basic site up and customised and am adding pages so we'll have something if we need it and in the meantime we have something to show prospective web builders exactly the sort of thing we'd like and what works or doesn't work with the new site. I've imported the blog there so this is my first post on it and it's looking alright, if I do say so myself!

So that’s me. It’s Friday night and I’m cracking on with the site build in between tweet breaks and tea breaks. I’m marginally more techy with webby things than I am with cameras so I think it will be okay for a start. And Damien has a meeting with a web designer on Sunday who may be able to help us with the whole site integration and ensuring it all runs smoothly across platforms etc. Either on the current set-up or by building a new one. We'll see.

For now, everything is smiley! *:O)

Leilani

No comments:

Post a Comment