Monday 11 July 2011

Much More Than Just A Laugh

So, not even a week since we shot the stills and promo for Clowning Around and already I've got strangers on Facebook and people I've shown photos to on my phone asking, "What is this film? When's it shooting? Who's the president of Peru?" (although the last question's not quite so common).

When Damien (Cullen, Clowning Around's writer & director) asked me to play mean Mr Fernelli a while back I thought, "A film about clowns? Yeah, why not? Sounds like a laugh". When we talked about the film in more depth, however, and then met with Katerina (costume) and discussed symbolism, themes and motifs - as well as a fully fleshed-out dramatic backstory and planned comic-book offshoots - I was truly most impressed with the vision and scope of this project. And, to return to last week's shoot for a moment, the professionalism of the cast and crew when we all met up at Tower Bridge Studios gave me a huge amount of confidence that Clowning Around will not only get made very soon but that it will also be a very high-quality piece of cinema.

Funnymen, but with secrets...tricks, but not just for kids...jokes, but with life's cruel humour...the first steps of this film's journey have left me feeling intrigued, unsettled and - most of all - exhilarated in the knowledge that Clowning Around is destined to be something much more than just a laugh.

Can. Not. Wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment