Tuesday 10 May 2011

The fear of feedback

The script for Clowning Around has undergone so many rewrites since I first rewrote the original idea (16 in all) and I am very happy with the script and a lot of people have commented that it is why they are working on it. So, it was a bit of a shock when a filmmaker who I have worked with before and is one of the many producers on the film said that it could do with improvement here and there to reach its full potential and would like to have a crack at rewriting it.

My initial reaction to criticism is always one of initial defensiveness. Who is this person? Who do they think they are? They obviously can't see what my vision is...etc. But one thing I have learnt on this project is the more ideas the better. I have also learnt not to think who the person is, but look at what they are saying and if they see something you may be missing as you are too close to it, it is worth listening to them. This is an easy thing to say but not put into practice so I have to forget about what has been written for 10, 15, 20 or however many minutes it takes to think of what they're saying in a rational manner as I am a bit of a knee-jerk reactor.

None of this is a reflection on Carlo, who is a very good writer and director and has a very clear idea of what he feels will work and I am interested to see what he adds and takes away and I hope when it does come back I can see the ideas objectively rather than being precious or clinging onto scenes and ideas that are great individually but may take away from the overall narrative.

It is difficult to give someone the keys to a script that you are very proud of but if I am going to be a collaborator with so many people and encourage debate and interaction about the film I have to be able to communicate why other peoples ideas aren't or are what I want and think through every detail of it to create a cinematic world and story that feels real. I keep reminding myself that the biggest rewrite the film had so far resulted in the most interest in the script so am looking forward to Carlo's notes. Check out Carlo's website at www.sugarspunpictures.com as well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment