Saturday 28 May 2011

Taking and Giving

So this week I feel like I've been running to catch up with projects and promises. I've finished some writing of a short script I promised a 72yr old in California who wants to make his first film. I've gone another step on my short film 'Butterflies' to get the voice recording done and to work with the producer on improving the location space for the rest of the shooting we need to do. I've been dropping back borrowed equipment from my previous shoot. I've got a script to write for another project and the film group has had a lot of things taking up my mental resources. Plus I've of course been looking at what needs to be done for Clowning Around and trying to get more organised.

I still feel a little bit of a step behind and buried in emails about Clowning Around. I want to check on this or that bit of information or put the reserch I'm doing in some semblance of order and it's taking me ages to find the email it was in or the doc I typed the search stuff down on. A content management system is very much needed for my own sanity at least.

I looked over the budget last night with fresh eyes to try and give myself an overview of where the money goes and what we need to achieve and where in that I personally feel I can be of most use in securing any of those things.

I've been feeling like I've been writing emails and getting nowhere, so I changed tack a little on the type of wording I've been using to be mildly more direct about what we need, and I fired off some emails to photographic studios to see if I can get us a proper space for taking the stills. It's really important to getting the help we need to make this film, that we can give people a visual idea of the calibre of the project and when asking for help I personally feel (and I know Damien does too) that I want to have something to give to people so that we're not just hustling for cash and help but providing something valuable to the people who support us in return for the help they can give and showing them the kind of people they are getting involved with (because we do hope people will get involved and take interest in the work we're doing and what we share about it. And when I say valuable I'm not talking t-shirts and swag, but something that may benefit their work as much as it does ours as well as something honest and fun to engage people to really collaborate in this work and learn through it along with us. It's a tough call because before we've raised funds we don't have money to hire resources like a photographic studio to show what we want to create.

The slight change of email wording may have helped, or maybe I just caught the right person at the right time with one of the emails (the first I sent as it happens, as the space inspired me to email immediately) but anyway, this morning I had a reply first thing from a fantastic photographic studio who, having looked at what we've been doing, may be able to assist us. I'm going to go down this week have a chat in person and see the space and hopefully they will be able to help us out and we can share the process of the shoot there and how we will use the imagery and why it's so important to us to have great pictures & the benefit that help gives us as filmmakers.

Damien is off in France working horrendous hours in his day/night job, but has sent emails about what we're planning to achieve and pointed out, quite rightly that together we need to start ticking things off the growing list of stuff to be sorted out so I'm looking at what jobs I can do and what I can leave to other producers so we don't double up on work. I truly admire his ability to lay things out clearly. My head is a puddle of mud right now with a lot of plans and random fluff in it, but I'm slowly getting a little more organised and I think I'm learning how to be a better producer. Which is just one of the reasons I chose to get involved with this project in the first place.

Trying to smile. Feeling a bit tired. Elated that someone replied to an email. More anon. *:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment