Sunday 8 May 2011

Our first Investor/Sponsor

We have just received great news that we have had our first cash injection for the film! I have always found getting money for shorts incredibly difficult, as at the end of the day very few make money so how do you walk up to someone and say "Hey, give me some money to make a film...you won't get it back!". Because of this all the films I have worked on have been self-funded and whilst this does show a determination, desire and confidence in the project from the director, it can into "their" film rather than "our" film as they act as both Exec Producer and director and can get sticky during disagreements.

Which is why with this film I am really trying to make this as collaborative as possible. This will not be my film, this will be our film. Of course, having written the script and worked on it on and off for four years I am still the person who the info and ideas will filter through but the idea of working with a network of people with a common goal really excites me as well as being able to interact with people throughout the project.

We have been discussing getting a KickStarter campaign going and making it live in July and I am still working my brain around as to how to sell the film so people will want to be a part of it, but this first experience of getting someone involved is really encouraging. I have enjoyed liasing with our first sponsor Perry Norton (I have been informed Sponsor is the best description, rather than investor due to the lack of financial return) and hearing the opinions of someone who is totally new to the project and I think/hope his reasons for getting involved are that he sees the calibre of the people and the project and I have tried to be as genuine and 'non-selly' as possible, just tell him about the film.

There is a long way to go, but today has really made me feel we can hit our budget and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment