Friday 20 May 2011

What a Clown I Am, Sometimes!

Just had a very good costume meeting with Damien, 1st AD Greer, and Katerina the Costume Designer. Photos soon, but for now I'm tired, I've got prep tomorrow for my other shoot this weekend so this is just a quick update for now. Why I decided to shoot a film on the few days Damien was back in the country I really don't know. I am silly like that sometimes.

Basically, in tonights meeting lots of ideas were shared by Katerina and they were great. I think the strong artistic imagery Katerina uses to talk about her ideas, with mood boards etc. helps to focus a director on what they really like and want. Several times I saw Damien really engage with something. Other times ides didn't seem to meld quite so well with the ideas in his head. Overall it's a really clarifying process that sparks a lot of thought and enthusiasm.

The main realisation I came to was that although I've read the latest draft of the script a few times, and though nowhere in it does it say that anyone other than the two main characters are clowns, I had it in my head that in the scene with lots of extras, all the extras were clowns. And to top that bit of idiocy on my part for not checking, I've been trying to find potential sources of costume for them all! *:oD

It just goes to show how important face to face meetings are in production for clarifying these sorts of things because unfortunately I am the sort of person who engages with a project, and in my enthusiasm I quite possibly don't ever question some of the assumptioins I make or may read things the way I want to read them. It's part of who I am. Gung Ho is my middle name! I always have a million things on the brain and I am beginning to wonder if I'm not attracted to this clown script because I'm a bit of a clown myself, somtimes! It's quite a good thing I don't take myself seriously. And also good that I don't mind asking stupid questions like.. 'they are all clown's aren't they?' so I can find out the truth!

I'm smiling now about that.. a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment